Caracas.- According to Venezuelan Attorney General Tarek William Saab, as a result of the inquiry into the attack on the high-ranking political-military command on August 4, 2018, charges have been filed against 38 people. In that regard, the official explained that 31 people are in prison and seven are under preventive measures.
The attorney general added that as part of the coup actions of the so-called Operation Freedom, 34 people are under investigation, 17 of whom were arrested and indicted.
This year has been marked by destabilizing actions, Saab said at a meeting to review the Public Ministry's performance. He noted that all those responsible for those actions will be tried.
On the other hand, he informed that so far this year, the Public Ministry has ruled 438 sentences for drug trafficking and has investigated 3,464 drug-related cases.
The prosecutor pointed out that during the said period, the security corps has seized six tons of cocaine, 1.9 tons of marihuana and 46 tons of controlled chemicals used to make drugs.
According to official statistics, from January to May 2019, the Public Ministry has received 135,556 cases, 59 percent of which are common crimes (80,349). (PL)